February Flower of the Month - Roses
08 February 2019
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, the R word is on our mind. Not R for Romance, but R for Roses! Cut roses are one of the best selling flowers in the world, popular with customers and florists. With their stunning beauty, high petal count, luxurious colours and pretty scent it is easy to see why roses remain so popular year on year.
Here at Magnolia the Florist, Dean and the team carefully source a variety of roses from growers and trusted suppliers; from long stem roses for anniversary bouquets to spray roses perfect for birthday hand-tied. We share some of our favourite stories behind the iconic rose and offer our guide on looking after your roses.
Our favourite rose facts
- There are over 150 different species of roses and thousands of hybrid roses, grown mainly in Holland, Mexico and Africa. Due to high consumer demand, the number of new varieties grows every year – such as the ‘rainbow rose’.
- Roses have been blooming for thousands of years; researchers found fossilised remains of wild roses from 40 million years ago.
- The colour of the rose represents a certain hidden meaning. For example, giving red roses is a symbol of love, yellow of friendship and happiness, orange stands for enthusiasm, white for innocence, pink for grace and burgundy is a sign of beauty.
- As the Greek mythology tale goes, Aphrodite the goddess of love, is said to have created the rose from the tears she cried over her beloved Adonis.
- In the UK, an estimated 55 million red roses are sold on Valentine’s Day. What a romantic bunch we are!
What roses to choose for your Valentine
- The forever popular classic - 12 red roses that represent “be mine forever” message. You can mix it up by using red roses and white roses, which look stylish with lush green foliage to finish.
- For a modern Valentine, choose a beautiful mixture of red roses, pale pink roses and hot pink roses.
- Miles away from your loved on this Valentines? Check out our bespoke range of luxury bouquets that are available to send nationwide - so you can spoil someone special with Magnolia the Florist flowers no matter how many miles away.
- Yellow roses represent friendship and happiness, making them the perfect rose bouquet to send your BFF on Galantines Day
- After some inspiration? Have browse of our exclusive Valentine's Day collection available to order online for delivery to Kettering and surrounding local areas!
How to look after your Roses
- Using sharp scissors or knife, trim 3-5cms off the base of the stem at a 45 degree angle.
- It is best to leave the thorns on the stems, as it can help the rose last longer.
- Carefully remove any leaves that will fall below the water line.
- Place the roses in a clean vase, filled with fresh tap water and add the sachet of flower food supplied by your florist.
- Try to avoid displaying the roses in a cold draughty area, in direct sunlight, near a heat source (like a radiator) or by a fruit bowl.